Angela Gregory (1903-1990) was a sculptor and educator who came to relevancy at a time when her field was heavily dominated by men.
Angela Gregory (Newcomb College Class of 1925, Tulane Architecture School Class of 1940) served as an assistant architectural engineer for the Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans and designed camouflage for the American war effort. During World War II, she also served as the women’s counselor for Pendleton Shipyards and as a consultant to the Celotex Corporation in New Orleans.
Some of her notable works include relief work on the Criminal Courts building on Tulane Avenue, which was her first major commission. She also designed the statue of Bienville on Loyola Avenue, and eight of the twenty-two famous men that surround the exterior of the State Capitol building in Baton Rouge.
Gregory was a Professor Emerita and Sculptor in Residence at Saint Mary Dominican College, and became the state supervisor of the arts program for the Federal Works Art Project. She was honored as Chevalier de L’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the minister of culture of France in 1982. Upon her death in 1990, she was one of the few female fellows of the National Sculpture Society.